aloof-keeping distance from people because of shyness
impersonally-without connetion to a specific person
ornery- unpleasant or stubborn
resignedly-giving into something
One day there is a new boy at school and he is being aloof to his new classmates. Another new student was resignedly to some of the students behaviours. The students who got in trouble were being very ornery with the principal about their punishments. The new boy was impersonally to this situation.
1. What does Cherry explain as the difference between the socs and the greasers?
Cherry says that the difference between the socs and the greasers are their values and partly money.Greasers are more emotional and the socs are more sophisticated and nothing is real to them.
2. What does Ponyboy mean on p. 39 when he says "Johnny and I understood each other without saying anything"? Have you ever had a relationship with someone who you understood, or who understood you, without having to say anything?
Ponyboy means that him and Johnny are both quiet so they don't have to talk about anything they just know what they are thinking.Yes, I have had a relationship with someone and understanding them without saying anything, because we just know what they are thinking because we know eachother so well.
3. When and how did Pony's parents die?
Ponyboy's parents died in a car accident 8 months prior to the present time he is talking about.
4. What happens when Pony comes home after his curfew?
When Pony copmes home after his curfew Darry and Sodapop are awake at home and Ponyboy walked in the door. When Darry saw him he hit Ponyboy then Pony just turned around and left very upset. Then Darry opened the door and calle Pony back but he didn't come back.
5. Why does Johnny like it better when his father is hitting him?
Johnny likes it better when his father hits him because he knows his father knows who he is.
6. At the end of the chapter, how does the author foreshadow that bad things are to come?
The author foreshadowed that bad things are going to happen because at the end of the chapter Pony boy is thinking that things can't get anyworse, but he was wrong.